You're a new principal. Now what? Episode one, season one of The New Principal Show! answers that and more. Dr. Mark Wilson (principal-matters.com and @MarkWilsonGA) is your host and guide to this twelve-episode show to help new principals get off to a successful beginning.
In this episode, Mark is joined by Dr. Torian White, the Principal of Southeast Bulloch Middle School in Statesboro, GA and by Debra Murdock, the 2014 Georgia High School Principal of the Year (GASSP) and Leadership Director for Cherokee County Schools.
We discuss four big things that new principals need to know in order to get off to a good start:
1) Be Yourself;
3) Take Notes (Don't make too many fast changes);
4) Learn why things are done as they're done (before you move the wrong furniture!)
We were joined in this live professional learning event on Tuesday, July 18 by a number of participants, some who shared via chat, others who share their voice to this recording. This is a recording of that meeting! Hope that it will help you in your work!
Join us in the future at https://www.gotomeet.me/principal-matters
Here's the schedule:
- Tuesday, July 18 Congratulations! You’re A Principal. Now What?!? Four Things
- Sunday, July 23 Let’s Get It Started: Four Keys to Commence A Great Start
- Sunday, July 30 Communication. Key to Your Success In Leading the School
- Monday, August 28 Instructional Leadership: The Principal’s Work in the Classroom
- Sunday, September 10 Making Connections: Your Role as a Hu
- Sunday, October 1 Priorities, Balance, Time, and Getting Things Done
- Sunday, October 29 Reflection, Joy, Culture and Believing
- Sunday, November 26 Being Innovative and Supporting Innovation
- Monday, December 11 Parents, Community, and Branding
- Sunday, January 21 Serving the Students Who Need You Most
- Sunday, March 4 What Happens Next Year? Planning for Now Through Mid-September.
- Sunday, April 22 Right? Wrong? Not Sure? How Has This Year Gone?
Dr. Mark Wilson